Matts Travels

Sunday, April 12, 2009

French Cup Time Trial

Until 2 day before the time trial I was to ride a road frame that was converted to a time trial bike, then the team went out and bought me a brand new Pinarello FT1 time trail bike which was a big boost to confidence for the race, even though it shouldn't really have mattered. So I only got to do very minimal kilometres on it before the race and looking back at some of the photos now I can see that my position can be changed alot to get into a more aerodynamic position. It was a French Cup Time Trial which con-sistered of one 24 km lap that was undulating. On the day of the race I felt confidant of a good result as I had been over the course twice the day before and I felt it was a course that suited me well. The plan was to take it out strong but not to hard as I still needed to be strong for the last 8 km as it was a straight highway with a head wind to the finish line. Just before I left a time of 31.01 min had been set by a french rider as the fastest time. With in the first few km of the start my legs had already started to feel quite heavy and I had not even hit the gas hard yet, so this wasn't a good sign to start. When I approached the first of 2 hills I went to change down form the big chain ring to the small one, as I did this the chain was flung straight off which cost me a few seconds as I fixed it. Then at the top of the hill I went to change to the big chain ring but it just didn't want to do it so I had to use my fingers. So the first 10 km didn't go to well but the rest of the course I felt quite strong and even over took the person that went off in front of me after about 15km which was a good sign as we were 2 minutes apart. The final 3km was where I lost a lot of time as I died really quick even after I had been conservative though out the race. I finished in a time of 32.47 minutes, the winner ended up doing a time of 30.22mins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done 'greasy fingers'. Hope the new bike behaves better next time around. Had coffee with ya Dad today. He told me your most recent good result. Well done. Say no more until ya new blog entry. Say hello to 'Mickey M' for me @ Euro D.

Ride well and safely and mostly 'enjoy'!

Cheers

Bubby

Matt King said...

Ah thanks for the comment, I really do miss those coffee sessions. I shall get a photo of Mickey M just for you Bubby, haha.

Matt